Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mercury poisoning be damned

Ah Tuna, there's nothing better than a nice lightly seared tuna steak. Last's nights came out beautifully, though a bit overcooked in some places. I usually sear it on each side, but this time I decided to see what broiling would do. A $30 piece of tuna is probably not the best thing to experiment with, but it came out delicious none the less.

I marinated the steak in a concoction of Soy sauce, a few splashes of sesame oil, and a 2:1 ratio of honey and wasabi paste. I whisked it together in a stainless steel bowl which I put a little heat to in order to more easily incorporate the honey. I let my tuna marinade for around 45 minutes. Any longer than an hour and you'll end up with one salty steak. I removed the fillet and placed the marinade in a sauce pan for reduction. I pat my tuna dry, applied fresh sesame seeds and set her aside. I wanted to get the shrimp finished before putting the tuna to heat because it can be a bit more temperamental than shrimp. I coated my shrimp with some of the St. Louis BBQ rub I had made previously and put them in a hot pan, then into the broiler until pink. Now it was time for the steak. I broiled it; don't do that. Get a cast iron pan real hot, put in some oil then lightly sear each side for 3-5 minutes. I mandolin-ed some cucumbers and made a mayo and sriracha sauce for the cucumbers and laid the shrimp on top. Sliced my tuna and placed the strips on a rice blend then finally I added the reduction. Quick, easy, and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment